Friday, April 6, 2012

April 6, 2012

Finally, it is a coolish morning when I can warm the room with a little heat from the gas fireplace. This has been such an unseasonably warm couple of months. I am looking forward to this Easter weekend and the celebration of the resurrection. I am experiencing the unusual feelings that I have come to expect on the days leading up to Easter, and I have been warning pastors to brace for these feelings early in their pastoral experience. There seems to be an uptick in spiritual warfare during this week, and especially on this Friday when the powers of darkness killed the son of God, lasting through Saturday as his body lay lifeless in the grave. The key to spiritual leadership during these days is to keep focused on Easter and to spend time in God’s word and in prayer. Today we will have a prayer vigil throughout the day at Wesley.

Hebrews 2

“Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself (Jesus) likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death.” (Verses 14-15) On this day before Passover, 1980 years ago (approx) Jesus was executed on a cross by the Roman government, at the initiative of the Jewish religious leaders. He shared with each of us flesh and blood. And through death he has destroyed the one who has the power of death, that is the devil.

This is profound insight from the second chapter of Hebrews, so pertinent to Good Friday. Guide me Holy Lord as I walk through this day of remembering your suffering and death. I have experienced the freedom you have won as I am not in slavery to the fear of death. I do experience the ongoing warfare with the powers of darkness, even on this sunny Friday morning. Use me as your servant on this pivotal day. Guide your church as we draw closer to you and celebrate your victory over sin and death!

No comments:

Post a Comment