Saturday, April 21, 2012

April 21, 2012

Finally, a frost! I have been expecting a frost for weeks, as the average last frost around here is April 15. It seems like we have not had a frost in 5-7 weeks. Beginning next week it will be safe to plant vegetation such as flowers and vegetables which cannot withstand frost. I had my first radishes from the garden last night, planted from seed a couple of months ago. This is the first year I have planted radishes and it is fulfilling to see them do so well. I also have planted cabbage from seed and they are doing okay. My tomatoes indoors have been up for about 3 weeks, but do not yet look very strong.

Today is Wesley’s mission blitz! It is the 5th year that we have aimed hundreds of people into the area to perform acts of kindness and to assist people in their need. There will be a house built in the parking lot today, and throughout 2 neighborhoods we are partnering with Habitat for Humanity to construct, paint, repair and help dozens of families. Tomorrow we will celebrate the work in our worship services, and enjoy the MSU symphonic band.

Hebrews 13

This last chapter of Hebrews is packed with great advice, application and a summary of the theme of the book. Verses 1-6 emphasize practical love – expressed in hospitality (especially to strangers), remembering prisoners and people ill treated, fidelity in marriage, character free from the love of money (which diverts many people away from the holy love of God and neighbor). These verses will be my text on Mother’s day as I preach through this book in the month of May. It will be good for me to preach in an expository style for a series.

Verses 7-17 exhort the reader to “remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you… Obey your leaders, and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls, as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.” If I were a superintendent I think I might use these verses as I supervised congregations and supported pastors in the work of the ministry. As a pastor of a large church, I can use this passage to support and encourage members of life groups and study groups to support their leaders.

Verses 18-25 wrap up the epistle to the Hebrews. These verses sound like what Paul would write, even though there is much debate as to who actually is the author of this epistle. Timothy is mentioned as being released (from jail?) Greetings are sent from Italy, and the final phrase is “Grace be with you all.” Yes Lord, may grace be the overriding characteristic of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment