Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April 17, 2012

Yesterday was another beautiful day here in the Ozarks. I played golf with Steve, Bob, Jeff and Mo. My swing needs some help, but it was good to be outside with friends. Today I have a breakfast with a group led by Mark Struckhoff at the Chamber of Commerce building, worship planning, a coaching call with Doug Anderson and a meeting with a wedding couple. I will write my pastor’s pen before going to the breakfast, along with answering a few emails. O what a beautiful morning …

Hebrews 10

The writer has been building a strong case in the first 9 ½ chapters that Christ is superior. In verses 19-25 he applies this with a strong injunction for each of us who read this book: “Since therefore, brethren, we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, and since we have a great high priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith…let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering…and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds… (19-24)

This week at Wesley we will be engaged in our 5th mission blitz on this the third Saturday of April. This is truly a living out of verse 24, as through the previous months there has been much consideration on how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds. There will be over 700 people doing good throughout Springfield. It is tremendous and a great blessing to see it unfold. Lives are being touched, both those who will occupy the houses we build, and also all those who do the work with willing hearts and faith.

Verses 32-39 wrap up this chapter with a strong warning – Do not shrink back from following Christ!
The author acknowledges that believers have had their property seized, they have visited prisoners, and they have endured being made a public spectacle and sharing with those who were so treated. He concludes “But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.” (Verse 39)

Guide me Lord as I press on the upward Way. I have need of endurance, so that when I have done Your will I may receive what was promised, as I live by faith. I seek to apply that faith today, living as Your undershepherd of this great flock called Wesley in Springfield. I am drawing near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, holding fast the confession of my hope and considering how to stimulate the body to love and good works. Use me today most Holy Lord to accomplish your will and purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment