Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 19, 2012

This morning I will drive the church bus to Carthage and take the skills portion of the CDL exam. I practiced parallel parking yesterday and did a thorough inspection, finding a flat tire and a broken light, both of which were fixed later in the day. I have looked forward to having this CDL for a long time, and though there is some anxiety about driving with an examiner, I have taken enough tests in my life that I am confident about this exercise. Life has many exams, some studied and planned for, some in the moment.

Hebrews 11:13-40

Summing up the previous section the writer says “All of these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.” (Verse 13) The rest of the chapter recounts the acts of faith of men and women who have become our ancestors in Christ – Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Rahab, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Solomon, and the prophets.

Verses 33-35 provide a summary of the victorious: “who by faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight…
Verses 36-38 summarize longsuffering faith that did not witness victory: mocking, scourging, imprisonment, execution, exile, etc. I realize that it is so important to note that those who live by faith sometimes see the victorious results, and often come to the end of this life without seeing what God is doing through their sacrifice.

Guide my steps today, most holy Lord as I live this day by faith, seeking to please You in all I say and do. Give me courage, confidence, compassion and clarity of purpose. In Christ I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment