Monday, April 2, 2012

April 2, 2012

Romans 14

Paul writes about principles of conscience and self-denial on behalf of others. In verses 14-17 he states: “I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. … for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.”

Paul is writing in the context of people who order their lives around certain practices, such as keeping the sabbath holy or keeping everyday holy, avoiding meat offered to idols, or avoiding meat altogether. In my generation the most pressing topic is whether or not to drink beverage alcohol. Paul concludes in verses 22-23: "The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.” In the margin of my study Bible I wrote “at age 50 I committed to no beverage alcohol for this reason.”

Living for the benefit of others is the model of a Christ-like life. Living for one’s own pleasure and fulfillment is the human nature. During this Holy Week we are reminded of the commitment of Christ to give his life for all of us, and the temptation he endured to avoid the cross and its shame. Guide me Lord as I also strive to live for others. As I order this day of rest, may it be re-creational and preparation for a week of sacrifice and service. In your most holy name I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment