Friday, May 11, 2012

May 11, 2012

Jesus Christ is the firstborn of the dead, who loves us, and released us from our sins by His blood. He has made us to be a kingdom of priests to His God and Father; to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. John the revelator makes these statements in verses 5-6 of the opening chapter of Revelation. This morning As I struggle to wake up and convince my body that this is the day the Lord has made, these words from the last book in the Bible encourage my spirit and awaken within me the desire to serve God with my whole being.

I am reading a book by T. Scott Daniels entitled Seven Deadly Spirits which takes an interesting approach to the 7 letters to the 7 churches of Asia in chapters 2 and 3 of Revelation. I have always found these letters to be helpful in leading the church; in fact as I started a new church I began forming the launch team with a Bible study of these letters. Daniels develops the theory that the 7 angels of the churches are corporate personalities, or collective spirits. He uses the work of Walter Wink, including Unmasking the Powers: The Invisible Powers that Determine Human Existence (1986). I will continue pondering this approach as I pastor the church called Wesley in Springfield and appreciate its collective spirit.

Today I have two wedding rehearsals and a movie screening, and tomorrow there are the two weddings. I am leaning into this day and all that lies ahead as I serve Christ within the kingdom of priests which He has made us to be. Guide my steps today, most Holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment