Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 22, 2012

Today is the one-year anniversary of the Joplin Tornado. Last night President Obama spoke at their high school commencement. It was a Sunday last year, and I took a picture of a gorgeous double rainbow over our house during that stormy late afternoon. At the time I had no idea of the death and devastation which had just occurred 70 miles to the west.

Yesterday I had a good day of chores and tasks around the house. Audrey and I went for a 3 mile walk. I mowed the back lawn, changed the oil in the Explorer and was working on the Concours when I realized I did not have an oil filter for it. I spent a fair amount of time upgrading my Droid. There is a Droid Razor Max on its way to my door, to arrive by tomorrow night. I look forward to its 4 G speed and long battery life. Audrey and I had pizza and watched the movie “Rainmaker” recorded on our TV.

Revelation 10

John sees “another strong angel coming down out of heaven, clothed with a cloud; and the rainbow was upon his head, and his face was like the sun, and his feet like pillars of fire; There are 7 peals of thunder which spoke, and as John was about to write down what they said he heard a voice from heaven forbidding him to write, saying “seal up the things which the 7 peals of thunder have spoken, and do not write them.” What a mystery this is! I can only imagine what might have been said and then sealed up.

In verses 8 and 9 – “and the voice which I heard from heaven, I heard again speaking with me, and saying, ‘Go, take the book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the land…take it, and eat it…” There is a similar occurrence in Jeremiah 15:16 in which he is praying and he says to God “Thy words were found and I ate them, and Thy words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I have been called by Thy name, O Lord God of hosts.” In this NASB Bible that Audrey gave me to celebrate our engagement on July 17, 1982 I have written by this passage in Jeremiah “I desire to do this on a daily basis 8-30-83.” In the intervening 29 years I have daily experienced God’s words as a joy and the delight of my heart.

Guide me today, most holy One as I lead and serve You as pastor here in Springfield. May your word continue to lead, guide, empower, inform and order my life and witness during this short earthly life.

No comments:

Post a Comment