Wednesday, May 9, 2012

May 9, 2012

It is 4:44 am and I am up with energy for the day. The birds outside are making a racket! I planted tomatoes and okra last evening, and will spread weed ‘n feed on the dewy grass at first light. I am working harder on my lawn this year as I realize how important it is to Audrey to have it look nice. Working in the garden feels almost like a chore, but it is a good chore that keeps me close to the natural processes and connects me with my father’s love of gardening, and the human heritage of horticulture. Yesterday I dug up a wonderful moth that was still in the ground, not quiet complete from the caterpillar stage. I loosely placed a plastic container over it to provide it shelter through the night. I will remove it this morning and see what it looks like.

The General Conference of the United Methodist Church came to an unusual finish on Friday night in Florida as the Judicial Council ruled at 4:00 pm that the restructuring plan adopted by the Conference was unconstitutional. The conference met until midnight without approving another restructuring plan. It did, however, reduce its overall budget by about 7%, dismantled “guaranteed appointments”, and managed to stay out of the national spotlight. I am reading Lovett Weems’ Focus for the upcoming bishop’s peer mentoring group. He makes many suggestions for all levels of the United Methodist church including the General Conference, the Annual Conference and the Local Church. I am hopeful for the future of our connection, even though this recent General Conference was contentious and characterized by lack of trust.

Psalm 28 (chosen because I have not read Psalms lately)

“Blessed be the Lord, Because He has heard the voice of my supplication. The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped.” (Verses 6-7a) Yes, You Lord are my strength and my protection, I trust in You, most Holy One. Even though many live with blatant disregard for who You are and what You do, I will trust You every day, and live everyday for Your kingdom and Your glory. Use me on this Wednesday according to your purposes, most holy Lord. Guard me from any discouragement; guard me from settling for anything less than Your holy purposes in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment