Wednesday, May 16, 2012

May 16, 2012

The body of Christ is beautiful, holy, set apart by God. As I prepare to read a chapter from John’s Revelation, I meditate upon the church, Christ’s body. In John’s day it was under assault, persecuted fiercely, and needing a word of hope. In this current era, the church is in various conditions around the world. Where I live there is no persecution of the church, and one of its greatest challenges is that of seeming to be self-sufficient, taking care of its own needs.

Revelation 5

There is an unopened book, sealed with seven seals and the question is posed, “who is worthy to open the book and to break its seals.” Initially no one is found who is worthy, and then “a Lamb, standing, as if slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God, sent out into all the earth. He took the book, and the creatures and elders around the throne sang a new song saying “Worthy art Thou to take the book, and to break its seals; for Thou wast slain, and didst purchase for God with Thy blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. And Thou hast made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth.” (Verses 9-10 NASB)

This chapter closes with John witnessing worship at its highest, which he describes in verses 13-14 “And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, ‘To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever.’ And the four living creatures kept saying ‘amen.” And the elders fell down and worshiped.” What a scene. It is good for me to read this account and to recognize that as a pastor I am called to lead the body in worship of God and the Lamb.

Yesterday was a good and long day of worship planning, coaching, and meetings. Today will be more of the same, with a breakfast meeting, a staff lunch, afternoon meetings, and a new member class tonight. As this is “bike or walk” to work week, and Brian has registered Wesley as an employer, I plan to ride my bicycle at least once this week. It could be that I ride this evening, as I would have time to clean up before teaching the class, though it would mean riding home in the dark. I will see how the afternoon goes.

Guide me today, most holy One, as I serve in your kingdom of priests. Use my words, thoughts, prayers, plans and conversations to your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment