Saturday, May 12, 2012

May 12, 2012

Revelation 2 - Letters to the churches of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum and Thyatira

Each of these letters from Jesus to the angel of the church has specific commendations and criticisms. For example, in the first letter, Jesus praises the church in Ephesus for its deeds, toil and perseverance. They are also commended for the way they “put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false.” (Verse 2) His criticism of the church at Ephesus is in verse 4: “But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.” His instruction is to remember back to that love, do the deeds they did at first.

As I read this chapter I am pondering what a letter from Jesus to Wesley UMC in Springfield might contain. This could be a great project for any church to undertake, discerning what the Spirit is saying to the church. It would also be easier if that letter simply came in the mail! These 7 letters in chapters 2 and 3 are great material to study and meditate upon.

Today I will officiate at two weddings, one in Nixa at a banquet center, and one at Wesley. I will also work on my sermon for tomorrow as I develop this Mother’s Day message. Guide me Holy Lord as I serve you today, laboring in your fields which are white unto harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment