Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19, 2012

There is a rest for the people of God! Tomorrow the theme for the day comes from Hebrews chapter 4 and reminds us that God has prepared this rest. I am looking forward to celebrating weekly worship at Wesley as we continue to examine the teaching from this letter to the Jewish Christians, and how it applies to us who live in Springfield Missouri and planet earth in the 21st century.

Revelation 8

The seventh seal is broken and there is silence in heaven for about half an hour. Angels around the throne sound their trumpets, and hail, fire and blood were thrown to the earth. A great star falls from heaven and many people on earth died as the waters were polluted and a third of the sun, moon and stars were darkened. An eagle flying in mid-heaven announces “woe, woe, woe, to those who dwell on the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels who are about to sound!”

This chapter reminds me of a nuclear holocaust that could end life as we know it on earth. It could also be brought about by some astronomical phenomena, and it reminds me that now is the time to worship God and to love neighbor. Like the TV show Survivor, there is limited time, and then the judgment. This judgment is not by those voted off, but by God who sees and knows all things.

Audrey is safely home. I picked her up at the airport last night and at home we had our final “survivor date” of the season, as we watched the final episode recorded by our DVR on Sunday night. It is an interesting social and physical interaction.

Today I have a wedding at 3:30 and the rest of the day available to prepare for Sunday and the upcoming days as I leave with the youth choir mission trip on Friday for 9 days. Yesterday I recorded the first part of the sermon I will preach on June 3, the day we return.

Guide me as I live today for you, most Holy One. Guard me from thinking that what I can see is all there is to life. Show me ever more clearly your way, your truth and your life. This is the day You have made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment