Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20, 2012

“Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest …” This morning in all four worship services we will fully consider the rest that is promised, which is a new and improved rest, better than the rest of the garden of Eden, the promised land, or even of the Sabbath. I just experienced a night of good rest (including a dream about going to a new dentist, with all the complications of not knowing my way around). There are so many people in the church who mirror the Hebrews addressed in the epistle who have not entered the rest promised by God.

Hebrews 4

In addition to the teaching on rest, and the Biblical thread from Eden to Eternity, verse 12 is a great commentary on the power of scripture: “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” I have experienced the living power of God’s word in my life, and I desire to preach it, teach it, and demonstrate it by living it every day. As I prepare to head out with our youth choir for 8 days, I am looking forward to living my faith in the presence of community, and sharing together the word of God, receiving as well as giving examples.

Guide me today, most holy Lord, as I have the privilege of pastoring your flock called Wesley United Methodist Church in Springfield Missouri. Use my words, my countenance, my thoughts and responses to bring you glory and to minister to people. Fill me today with your Spirit to overflowing. Bless the family of Ed Powlishta as they celebrate his funeral in Troy, Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment