Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May 2, 2012

It is well with my soul and my body! Yesterday was a long day after a short night of sleep, and it ended well with 8 of us around the table for a lay leadership meeting. It was a very good meeting, as we discerned replacements for SPR and Annual Conference. Today I will work on my sermon, meet with the Wesley pastors, have lunch at Ridgecrest around the book Reverberation by Jonathan Leeman, and finish the day with three nearly simultaneous events – the children’s musical, the new member class, and the last night of the Green Room.

I Peter 5

The apostle Peter addresses pastors as “your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ”. He gives instruction: “shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock.” (Verses 1-3) These verses remind me of Ezekiel 34 and his warnings against false shepherds, and instructions to true shepherds. As a pastor in my 30th year, I welcome Peter’s instructions and Ezekiel’s warnings. From my days in seminary I have had a sense that God was calling me to have an impact on the training of pastors.

Guide me Lord today as I shepherd, serve, and lead Your sheep. May my words, plans, actions, presence and example be fruitful in the advancement of Your kingdom. Guard me from the pitfalls of this role, and use me to encourage pastors and those who are considering your call upon their lives for vocational ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment