Monday, May 21, 2012

May 21, 2012

The fifth angel opened the bottomless pit(Revelation 9: 1-11)from which locusts came with power given them to torment people who did not have the seal of God upon their foreheads. They have as a king over them the angel of the abyss whose name is Abaddon, or in Greek Apollyon.

The sixth angel sets free 4 angels who were bound at the great river Euphrates. These four angels were prepared to kill a third of mankind. There was a 200 million man cavalry on horses from which proceed fire and smoke and brimstone. The conclusion of the chapter: “And the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, so as not to worship demons, and the idols of gold and of silver and of brass and of stone and of wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk; and they did not repent of their murders nor of their sorceries nor of their immorality nor of their thefts.” (Verse 20-21)

This chapter has wild imagery. It is hard to interpret. Reading it I have a sense of the end of the world, and technology is part of it. People who worship idols and refuse to repent of their immorality are headed for judgment. I see the world spiraling in that direction, with Jesus Christ as the only hope.

Today will be a beautiful day of weather, and I will carefully use this day off to recharge my batteries, and to prepare for the 9 day youth choir trip (May 25 – June 2). I need to replace my Droid X phone, as I am eligible for a new one, and having dropped this one, the screen is slowing bleeding out. I will choose between the Droid Razor, and the beefier battery version. I do not look forward to the time this will take, nor to the hassle of negotiating with the Verizon folks about my account. (I will explore some options online.) I will exercise today, change the oil in the Explorer and Concours, mow the back lawn, and tidy up my study. Audrey and I will also sit down and plan our schedule for July, how we might best use the time away.

Last night I attended a meeting of youth and their parents who are going on the Choir Mission trip. It was a good meeting, and I am looking forward to this trip. My goal is to journey with our youth and adult sponsors in a way that allows me to get to know them, and for them to get to know me. It has not been easy to clear my calendar for these 9 days, but since I have been planning it for months, I have been able to keep these days clear of appointments and commitments.

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I take sabbath from the daily work of pastoring. May this day allow my mind, heart, soul and body to be refreshed and renewed. I look forward to walking with You each step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment