Friday, May 25, 2012

May 25, 2012

Today we leave on the youth choir mission tour! Tonight we stop in Indianapolis and tomorrow night we arrive in Burlington, West Virginia. I am packed and ready for this adventure. During these quiet moments I will read from Revelation and listen for God’s nudging.

Revelation 13

John sees a beast coming out of the sea with 10 horns and 7 heads. It resembled a leopard but had feet like a bear and a mouth like a lion. (Verses 1-2) Many people have speculated what the symbolism here means. This morning I will not guess at what it means, but as I read this chapter I realize that there will be cataclysmic power and control on earth by the beast and the dragon, at war with the lamb. There will be a system whereby no one can buy or sell without the number of the beast on right hand or forehead (a bar code or chip implanted?) “This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man’s number. His number is 666. (Verse 18)

It is so peaceful out my door this morning, in this quiet neighborhood, with order and rule of law that is fair and well-administered. I realize that in many parts of the world today there is chaos and rule of might with wicked people taking advantage of weaker and vulnerable people. This vision of the beast and the dragon gives the reader a glimpse into the conflict at the end of life as we know it. Hitler and World War II came close to embodying a government ruled by a beast. As we study history we know that there is the possibility of horrific leaders.

Yesterday was another very good day of ministry. I met at the church for prayer, then had a good meeting with one of our pastors. I visited the hospital, shared lunch with the team of leaders who prepared and executed the Mission Blitz. In the afternoon I spoke with a person with relational difficulties, and then met with a bride and groom and another pastor about their upcoming wedding. In the evening I mowed the lawn, packed, fixed a leaking toilet, and prepared to travel with the choir tour. The availability of internet and time to blog might be restricted on this trip, I will try to keep up this daily practice, but it might be somewhat intermittent.

Guide me Holy Lord, today and each day of this journey. I look forward to walking with you in community with the youth and adults on this trip. My hope is in You, and I believe in the things that I cannot see. Increase my faith today and each day, Holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment