Monday, May 7, 2012

May 7, 2012

Yesterday was a good day of worship and ministry. I launched a sermon series on Hebrews and recieved good feedback on my message. Communion was especially meaningful to me. I baptized two cousins, the great-great grandsons of Rev. Tate, who I knew as an elderly retired pastor in the 1980s because of his Asbury connections. In the afternoon I was totally depleted, and rested until bedtime, then slept well for 8 hours. As I awoke this morning my phone said “fully charged”, which is also how I feel.

Last night I finished Bryan Clay’s autobiography “Redemption.” It has made an impact on me that is powerful. I will reflect upon his inner thoughts concerning competing in the decathlon and my inner thoughts as I prepare and deliver sermons. The book is copyright 2012 and in the epilog he says he has his sights on the 2012 Olympics. On the internet I have discovered that the Olympic trials are in June. I will see if I can get an update on his current progress.

II Peter 2

I read this a few days ago, but it did not soak in. I have reread it carefully this morning, and received the full impact of its message. It is essentially a message to avoid false teaching, and especially those teachers who lead hearers back into indulging the flesh and despising authority. God rescued Lot, who was “oppressed by the sensual conduct of unprincipled men” (Verse 7). This current generation, like every previous generation is composed of many who “indulge the flesh in its corrupt desires and despise authority. Daring, self-willed …” Verse 10). It seems that it is always difficult for the church to speak against indulging the flesh, as this soon degenerates into condemnation and legalism. Leaders who live holy lives might be the best remedy and the best example for the church to avoid the sensuality of the age.

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I seek to follow You and to live an exemplary life. May this day of rest be fruitful and may all my activity be obedient to Your will and purposes. In the mighty name of Jesus the Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment