Friday, May 4, 2012

May 4, 2012

I will play racquetball at 7 am this morning with Jerry, Alex, and Charlie, all of whom are strong players. I am joining the group for the fellowship with the hope that I do not get injured! Yesterday I passed the final part of the Commercial driver’s license exam, and will now be licensed to drive the church bus. Last evening we had a great celebration of the spring life group season with 220 folks gathered for dinner and the Skinny Improv performance. Today I will host a lunch for retired pastors associated with Wesley. As this is the last day of General Conference, we will discuss its implications, and generally get reconnected. Tomorrow I will speak at a memorial lunch for Mike Witte, who died of cancer.

II Peter 1

“…Giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Verses 5-8) I have always appreciated this list of things that bring about fruitfulness in the life of the believer. In 1977 I spent two days alone in a cabin in Kentucky studying these verses and seeking to gain full understanding. Now, 35 years later I am still seeking to understand and apply them to my daily life.

As I read the autobiography of Bryan Clay, who is an APU graduate, silver medalist in the decathlon in 2004 Olympics and gold medalist in 2008, I realize the tremendous devotion and diligence he applied to being fruitful as an athlete. He was and is also a dedicated follower of Christ. His story inspires me to be equally diligent in my walk with God, seeking to excel in the practices that Peter names in these verses.

Guide my steps today, most holy Lord as I add to my faith virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness and charity. Use me as your servant pastoring in Springfield, Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment