Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 1, 2012

There was a thunderstorm in the wee hours of the morning, as I received two overnight phone calls – one from an unknown long distance dialer who apparently called me by mistake, and another a couple of hours later from the Wesley security company telling me there was a burglary alarm – a motion detector activated. I texted Jerry and he was on top of it.

Yesterday Audrey and I worked hard in the garage to sort through boxes in the garage, most of which had come from my parent’s house. We consolidated, eliminated and made tough decisions about what to keep, sell or pitch. There is a large pile with the trash can at the curb this morning, including a poster my parent's friends made for their return from their honeymoon (hard to discard, but one of the many things that we cannot carry around for the rest of our lives!) In the evening I went for an hour motorcycle ride, and was plenty tired at bedtime.

I Peter 4

This chapter starts and ends with the topic of suffering – since Christ has suffered in the flesh, each believer should “arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has cased from sin.” (Verse 1)

“The end of all things is at hand; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer. Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.” (Verses 7-8) As I read these verses I am mindful of John’s vision and chapters 2-3 of Revelation to the angels of the 7 churches, especially the emphasis on the urgency of the present times, and the need to keep fervent in love for one another in the body of Christ.

Guide me today, most holy, soon-to-return Lord. Lead me in the path of sound judgment and sober spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment