Thursday, September 2, 2010

August 31, 2010

8-31-10 Tuesday, 5:15 am 74 degrees Springfield

This morning I will finish preparing for the staff retreat and get to the office early. Yesterday was a good day of rest, exercise, shopping, and a decision about my next cell phone. I chose the Motorola Droid X, released last month, with 8 GB internal memory, and 16 GB card, expandable to 32. They are so popular that mine will be shipped in about 10 days. Once I figured out that the sync for the Palm Pre was third-party software, and was the same for syncing with the Droid, I opted for its advanced technology and superior web capabilities, including a built-in flash player. When I get it, there will be much to learn, as I transition from the Treo I have been using for 4 years. The familiar is comfortable, change is always hard, and I am leaning into this advance with a sense of adventure. Announcing at the close of my sermon that I would be getting a new cell phone (as an analogy of staying closely connected to Christ) propelled me into actually getting it done yesterday.

The news this morning described a motorcycle accident on Campbell just north of Plainview (about a mile from my house) in which a herd of 4 deer were crossing the road in the dark, and the cyclist hit one. He and his passenger were hospitalized with serious injuries. This is such a risk for motorcycles, and I am always aware of this possibility as I ride.

II Cor 4:13-5:10

15 … grace, as it extends to more and more people, may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.” This verse describes the process of “radical hospitality” at work, with the central element being people receiving the forgiveness and unmerited favor of God in their lives, resulting in their thanking Him. Could this be a good avenue for the Nov sermon theme before Thanksgiving?
My reflection this morning is about how this grace “extends to more and more people”. I have ordered two new books on house churches, and I continue to be interested in this means of grace. The very large church is a very fruitful expression of Christ’s presence, and must be maximized in this generation.
Verses 16 – 18 include Paul’s assurance that he and his companions “do not lose heart”, even as their outer man (physical bodies and/or all human capability) are wasting away, as their inward man is being renewed day by day. This experience of inner renewal resulting from keeping an eternal perspective is necessary for every believer, and every person who serves Christ through the church.

Lord, thank you for these verses, and for Linda Belleville’s commentary in the IVP New Testament Commentary series. I desire with Paul to experience the inner renewal day by day even as my outer person wastes away. Guard me from the cultural obsession with preserving the youthfulness of the body. Even as my body wastes away, my hair turns white, my hearing and eyesight decline, strengthen my attention to your will, your purposes, your perspective on what is lasting, and what is temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment