Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 30, 2010

9-30-10 Thursday, 7:30 am Springfield, 54 degrees, clear.

It is another beautiful morning here in the Ozarks. My day yesterday was long and arduous, and I feel that it was well invested. From the 7:00 am time of prayer for those asleep spiritually (the lost), all the way to the 8:15 conclusion of the new member class, I was involved pastoring and leading the Wesley congregation. We had a very good executive staff meeting in the morning, topped off with homemade pie. Over the lunch hour we watched the video with Rick Warren on our Spring 2011 small group book “Life’s Healing Choices”. In the afternoon we met for worship planning, and then filmed two segments in my office for upcoming worship and ministry settings. Dinner at WOW went well, and the Dave Ramsey course is now at the halfway mark. All in all, lots of interaction, planning, preparing, and encouraging.

Philippians 1:27-2:18

This daily reading of scripture from the “One Year Bible” contains the text I preached from on Sunday. Verses 3-5: “Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.”

This would be a good scripture to read every day! As a human, with what is called “human nature”, there is a selfish bent. I feel it in me, the inclination to push to the front, to watch out for number 1. The key is to have the mind of Christ, making God’s interests “number 1” in my life, everyday. It is counter intuitive, but as person yields to a greater person, and a greater cause, the individual’s life is elevated, not diminished. This is my desire, Lord, to serve you alone, and to daily die to self. Guide me, most precious Holy Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment