Wednesday, September 22, 2010

September 21 and 22, 2010

[Blogger's note - Here are two days Journal entries, as our DSL service (and internet connection) was interupted for two days at home.]

9-21-10 Tuesday, 5:29 am Springfield, 68 degrees, clear.
It is a beautiful morning and I am ready for the day. I will drive to Columbia with two other pastors to meet in a new peer mentoring group led by Bishop Schnase. Each of us pastors a large church and are in the HCI process. I look forward to the fellowship, and especially the chance to visit with Bob and Jon as we are on the road together 3 hours each way. Tonight I will lead the Wesley Leadership Experience on spiritual formation. Yesterday Audrey and I spent a great day together, working around the house, going on a walk, reading outside. I ran 3.5 in the afternoon.

Galatians 6:1-18

This chapter of scripture speaks to me directly. Reading it this morning is as though I am being instructed personally with correspondence pertinent to my situation. “If another believer is overcome by some sin you … should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself.” As a pastor, occasionally I observe other pastors being overcome by some sin. Jesus taught about the “speck and the log” syndrome, in which the faults we see in others often are the very issues we struggle with in our own lives. Thus Paul wisely counsels to be careful not to fall into the same temptation. Currently I am not aware of “another believer (who) is overcome by some sin”, but this reminds me to be watchful.

In verse 2 I am told to “share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.” The next verse addresses busy important people by warning that if you do not help someone because you are “too important”, you are only fooling yourself. “You are not that important.”

And in verse 9: “So let’s not get tired of doing what is good.” Busy and crowded as is the schedule of the typical leader, this verse instructs me to persevere. I must balance self-care with a tireless, unselfish investment to do what is good, as “at just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.” (verse 9b).

I am yours, holy Lord. Guide my steps, my driving, my thinking, my leading today. Fully use me, as I seek to serve and please you with this day of my life.


9-22-10 Wednesday, 6:50 am Springfield 68 degrees, cloudy.

I had a good trip to Columbia yesterday, meeting with Bishop Schnase and 6 other pastors of large churches, and a great leadership “pilot experience” last night at Wesley, all of which made for a very long day. I am thankful for a strong constitution which allows me to push hard and work long hours. Today my schedule will include a dental cleaning and checkup, worship planning, lunch at the north district superintendent’s house to continue planning the launch of an experimental series of house churches, meeting with the Wesley pastors in the afternoon, and session one of the current new member class after WOW tonight. I love serving God in this role, and need strength and wisdom for each step of the way.

Isaiah 39-40

40:28 - 29 “Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.” These two verses jumped out at me, and in my head I heard a hymn or a song of praise with the words “everlasting God, ….” The nature of God, the extent of God’s understanding, strength, power are my meditation this morning. These verses provide great inspiration for me to lift my heart to God and to sing His praises.

The next two verses are among my favorite in all scripture: 40:30-31 “Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.” Yes Lord, I experience the renewed strength promised as I trust in You, today, yesterday, tomorrow, and every day until this body lies in the grave, and my spirit rests in your unchangeable eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment