Monday, September 20, 2010

September 20, 2010

9-20-10 Monday, 7:30 am Springfield, 68 degrees, clear.

I am amazed how late the sun rises. At 7:10 it still had not cleared my eastern horizon. The seasons march forward with almost imperceptible but steady progress. I continue to read a few pages of Thoreau’s Walden and am currently near the end of his book as he talks about the coming of Spring on Walden pond. It would be so easy for me to be isolated from the natural world with all the modern conveniences, and I endeavor every day to place myself in the elements, whether it is on the motorcycle, or on a run, or tending the yard and garden, or just simply stepping out on the back deck for a few moments of fresh air.

Galatians 5:13-26

This is one of my favorite passages of all scripture. The apostle Paul writes about freedom – not to satisfy your sinful nature, but to serve one another in love. He instructs us to “let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.” (verse16) He describes the cravings of the sinful nature in verses 19 -21. He is very direct as he names the results of following the sinful nature: “sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these.” Just copying these into my journal has an impact as I internalize each result of following the sinful nature. In the clear, fresh light of morning these appear so despicable, but I recognize how any or all of these results could so quickly poison the life of one inattentive to the Holy Spirit’s guidance.

Verses 22-23 contain the beautiful, majestic, holy results of a life filled with God’s spirit: “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” I have been cultivating these fruits since 1974, and will continue to do so every day until my arrow lands in God’s unchangeable eternity (Wesley quote, intro to standard sermons).

Guide me today, Holy Lord as I live this Monday in your presence, reading, preparing, resting, leading a graveside service for Henry Beasley, and pursuing the practices of a fruitful life in this toxic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment