Wednesday, September 29, 2010

September 29, 2010

9-29-10 Wednesday, 5:25 am Springfield, 52 degrees, clear

Last evening I was hoping to take Bob and Norma flying, but on the way to the airport I learned of mechanical problems with the plane, and had to cancel. We will reschedule when the mechanic figures out why it is not developing full horsepower, and repairs it. Yesterday was mostly spent with the district Board of Ordained Ministry, interviewing local pastors and updating their files. Today I will pray at Wesley at 7:00 with Bruce as we focus on the people around our neighborhoods who do not yet know Christ nor have a church home. Outwardly focused pray must be intentional.

Philippians 1:1-26

This letter to the church at Philippi from Paul while he was imprisoned is one of my favorite books of the Bible. It is a letter of joy and encouragement, not only for its immediate recipients, but for all down through time who read it now as part of the New Testament scripture. Verse 20b “And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. (21) For me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. (23) But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ…”

Fruitfulness in this life must be cultivated, must be a continual focus and a deliberate yielding daily to God’s purposes. This is my general topic for this fall sermon series, and it is the desire of my heart to be fruitful in my life and ministry. I am not sick, nor imprisoned, nor facing any immediate threat to my life. I realize that a sudden accident or illness could end my life, but the likely course will be that I live 20 – 30 more years. How will my fruitful will my life be? With Paul, I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, and that I can do more fruitful work for Christ. Today, that involves praying for the lost, leading our ministry staff, planning worship, filming some teaching segments, sharing in the Alpha course and assisting in teaching the new member class. I am yours, Lord, use me as your doulos. May I be fruitful today, and every day until I rest in your unchangeable eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment