Thursday, September 16, 2010

September 16, 2010

9-16-10 Thursday, 4:55 am Springfield, 66 degrees, partly cloudy, very dark.

I can see low-level fog coming out of the James River basin. I heard a pack of coyotes at 3:20 in the same area. Coyotes make a distinctive and sometimes eerie noise. The ones this morning were not eerie, they just sounded bothersome. This is one of those rare mornings in which I have been awake for some time, and electing to get up I will have plenty of energy for the day. John Wesley instructed his preachers to arise at 4:00 if they had a 5:00 am preaching opportunity (he encouraged them to pursue as many of these as possible, and preach if there were at least 20 people), otherwise they were to rise at 5:00. I have never preached at 5:00 am, but would do so if there were 20 interested hearers.

Galatians 2:17 – 3:9

Paul continues his theme of faith in Christ compared to reliance upon the works of the law. He lifts up Abraham as one “who believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.” He asks the Galatians if they received the Spirit by doing the works of the law, or by believing what they heard. This is such a pertinent issue for the modern “mainline” church – faith truly does come by hearing, and religious people constantly slip into the trap of believing it is their works that gain them favor with God.

At Wesley this week’s theme is “Intentional Faith Development”, from the work of Bishop Schnase. Paul is prodding the Galatians to grow in their faith, and the power of the Holy Spirit without deteriorating into a false reliance upon works. Guide me Lord as I seek to be your instrument encouraging growth and faith development in those who attend this weekend. Lead me Lord as I grow in my own faith development on this journey at this time in history and among the people of my generation and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment