Monday, September 6, 2010

September 6, 2010

9-6-10 Labor Day – Monday, 6:38 am Springfield, 68 degrees, clear.

Steve C. and I will head to the golf course at 7:15. I have not swung a club this year! I look forward to this morning together and some catching up. Yesterday went well, as Kendall preached on Hospitality, making room in our lives for God. These morning “quiet times” are my pattern and plan for creating space to interact with God, through the Word, meditation, and prayer.

II Cor 8:16-24

Paul is sending Titus and two other brothers to handle the transportation of the offering from the churches to Jerusalem. He briefly commends these men, then describes the reason for three men – to clearly demonstrate the appropriateness of handling this offering. Paul wants the church to be confident in the process of carrying this offering.

Yesterday in his message Kendall spoke about the lay witness mission he was invited to by a cute girl when he was 15, and the testimony of a young man about his life, and the transforming power of Christ. Kendall said yes to God through that experience. Bishop Schnase has observed the spiritual momentum his churches experienced from three “programs” – walk to Emmaus, Disciple Bible Study, and the VIM short term missions. All four of these “programs” have been fruitful in my life over the last 40 years. The question for the church today, in 2010 and beyond, is “what is the best use of time and energy to present the gospel and provide people opportunities to say yes?” It could be Alpha, it could be a discipleship program designed by the church itself. It could be the small group system, or the leadership development. It could be in the establishment of a new church… I do not want us to get stale or complacent in this current season, but to always be fresh, creative, sensitive to the spirit of God moving among us.

Guide me Lord on this day of rest and recreation. Use me, fill me, guide me thoughts as I live this day completely for your glory..

No comments:

Post a Comment