Friday, September 24, 2010

September 24, 2010

9-24-10 Friday, 6:58 am Springfield, 64 degrees, lingering light showers.

Audrey and I sat outside in the backyard for a brief time late yesterday afternoon enjoying what will probably be the last of the “summer” heat, 87 degrees and sunny. A cold front pushed through last night which will usher in more fall-like weather.
I tried to help a stranded fellow yesterday afternoon who needed cash credited to his “green dot” card. I purchased a “money pack” through Pay Pal at Walmart, and then when I tried to reach Mark on the cell number he gave me, I got a recording saying it was unreachable. I am pretty sure I read the number back to him, but feel bad that he was waiting for me, and I had what he needed, but could not get back in touch with him. I had our staff try to get a caller ID from our church phone system, but that is unavailable, which seems a little antiquated in this techno age.

Today I will work on my sermon, and finish up the self-study needed by the consulting team for our HCI consultation in October. It has much data that will be useful to us, and to the team. My appointments and other commitments lighten up today and tomorrow, which will allow me to have adequate time to prepare, something which I have lacked in the last few busy, hectic weeks.

Ephesians 3:1-21

Verses 16-18 contains Paul’s prayer for the church, which is a great prayer for all of us: “I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.”

I desire to be empowered with inner strength through his Spirit, with my roots growing down into God’s love and keeping me strong. As I am reading the biography of Francis Asbury I observe the inner strength and deep roots that kept him strong through malaria, and deep conflicts in the early Methodist work in the colonies. Given the times that I live in, the ease that is “normal” yet the presence all around of evil, darkness, brokenness and sin, I seek to deepen my roots, and trust in Christ as He makes his home in my heart. I am yours Lord. Use me, fill me, empty me, send me, hold me back, waste me that you may be glorified and your kingdom expanded in this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment