Friday, September 17, 2010

September 17, 2010

9-17-10 Friday, 5:38 am Springfield, 60 degrees, partly cloudy. Orion is visible; as are Jupiter/Uranus (My Google Skymap helps me with identification!)

Another early morning, as I arise with adequate rest. Yesterday was a long day, and I had good energy throughout, even though I was up at 4:30. I welcome the prospects of arising this early on a regular basis for prayer, scripture, writing and preparation. I have always needed more sleep than my friends, and I have been disciplined not to indulge in more sleep than needed. Each morning I am excited to be up and about, and “this is the day the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!”

Ephesians 5:1-33
Verses 15-17 instruct us to “be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. Don’t act thoughtlessly; but understand what the Lord wants you to do.” I have been following this admonition for 36 years now, since August of 1974. I must continue to discern “what the Lord wants (me) to do”. This is a question at the heart of the classic discipline of spiritual direction. I was one of the early members of Spiritual Directors International (SDI). I have been a spiritual director, and have had several during the decades. I currently am not utilizing a spiritual director, but have recently thought about reengaging in this practice.

“Carefully determine what pleases the Lord. Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead expose them.” Just as a baseball player or golfer continually adjusts their swing for maximum productivity, it is wise for Christians to carefully pay attention to “what pleases the Lord” and to guard against the encroachment of evil and darkness. This is a daily process and I must never ignore or neglect this discernment.

Last night we had a very good session of the church council, in which I led a discussion around the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities of Wesley UMC. As a church I would apply this chapter and remind us to “carefully determine what pleases the Lord.” We are preparing for the Healthy Church Initiative weekend consultation in October, and I am looking forward to the process, and the resulting 5 prescriptions which will provide us with actions to take which will please the Lord. I am so thankful for Wesley church and the opportunity to serve as pastor during this season of my ministry.

I am yours Lord, put me to doing your will today. Guide me in the preparation of the weekend message, the ordering of the church life, the wedding rehearsal tonight and wedding tomorrow. I desire to be careful to determine what pleases You, and to pursue this with all my being, today and each of my remaining days in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment