Monday, October 11, 2010

October 11, 2010

10-11-10 Monday, 6:09 am Springfield, 56 degrees, mostly clear. Sunrise-7:19 am; Sunset-6:41 pm

Yesterday we had a great Sunday morning, with the celebration of children’s Sunday, and the wrap-up of the series on Fruitful Living. God’s strength sustained me through the rigors of the Sunday morning schedule. In the afternoon I took a nap, and Audrey and I took a walk on the Greenway which begins/ends at the iron bridge. In the evening we went to see Secretariat, a well-done movie which reminded me of living in Louisville in the 60’s, and the energy surrounding the Kentucky Derby each May.

Jeremiah 16:16 – 18:23

17:9-10 “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? But I, the Lord, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve.”

As I was opening my paperback copy of this One Year Bible to day 284 (today), these words just jumped off the page to me. The deceitfulness of the human heart is a truth that is uncomfortable, and one that needs reminding regularly. I recognize the deceitfulness that resides in my heart, and will regularly subject it to checks and balances, including a covenant partner, small groups, prayerful reflection and honest application of God’s word and the illumination of the Holy Spirit.
I do not think I have ever preached on this passage. Perhaps in the coming weeks as I tackle “The Land Between”, looking at the Israelites desert wanderings and applying it to the faith community and also to the individual experience it will be helpful consider these verses. The Wesley Study Bible notes state that this is the “strongest statement made anywhere in the Bible about the deception and sinfulness of the human heart.”

Reading chapter 18 of Jeremiah, I remember how hard a life he lived, being God’s faithful messenger in a time when God’s people where unfaithful. Wesley and Asbury also lived hard lives, and saw great results. Both of them were disappointed toward the end of their ministries by the economic prosperity of the people who applied the Biblical principles to their lives, then after getting out of poverty and life on the edge lost some of their fervor and zeal for God’s kingdom. Guide and guard me Lord, as your servant in this generation, to keep pressing forward, aware of the deceitfulness of my own heart and willing to engage your people, challenging them to radical obedience to your will and purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment