Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 12, 2010

10-12-10 Tuesday, 6:55 am Springfield, 54 degrees, foggy.

I Thessalonians 5:4-28
Reading Jim Combs’ introduction to I Thes in the Tim LaHaye Prophecy Bible is most helpful. This is probably the first epistle that Paul wrote, having preached three Sabbaths at the synagogue in Thessalonica before a mob ran him out of town. In each of his two letters to this young church he speaks of Christ’s return 18 times.
I need to be reminded that Christ is returning, and that it could be any time. Those Christians who fully expect Him to come back soon live lives that have an urgency, and greater fruitfulness than those who disregard this prospect. I wonder what Wesley and Asbury believed and taught about the second coming of Christ?
Verse 10: Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever.” This addresses the concern that if a person died before Christ returns, what is their eternal state?

Verse 14 gives instructions to the leaders concerning different dispositions in followers – those who are lazy, timid, weak; and they are to be patient with everyone. Verses 15-22 give practical advice on how to live until Christ comes: don’t pay back evil, do good to all people, be joyful, pray without ceasing, be thankful in all circumstances, do not stifle the Holy Spirit, do not scoff at prophecies.

Just reading and summarizing the above verses gives me much to think about and act upon today. I need to adjust my interaction with people based on their temperament. I need to pray always, and be patient with all people, resisting evil and doing good. Guide me Lord on this day in the middle of October, in the middle of the United States, to be and do all that you desire as I live to please you and to serve you through pastoral ministry today.

No comments:

Post a Comment