Tuesday, October 26, 2010

October 26, 2010

10-26-10 Tuesday, 6:00 am Columbia, 57 degrees, cloudy, dark.
(This is my 200th Blog post this year!)

I am looking forward to this morning’s meeting of the Board of Ordained Ministry, which will continue where we left off yesterday. I am a new addition to this board, and I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve in the tasks of credentialing, recruiting, empowering pastors. Steve Breon is an excellent leader, and he is leading us into the future well.

Sitting here at the desk in my room in the Hampton Inn, looking out my window at the traffic on hwy 70, I feel compassion for the travelers flying by, wanting each one to know the love and the relationship of God through Jesus Christ that is possible. Following this devotional time I will be reviewing The Land Between by Jeff Manion, and working on my sermon for Sunday, as the worship planning team meets in my absence this morning at Wesley.

Titus 1 (from the Gideon Bible, and from my Droid, my One Year Bible is still in the car!)
Verses 5-9 describe the type of leaders that Paul is instructing Titus to appoint. This chapter is so fitting for the work of the Board of Ordained Ministry! As I read from the King James version, and also from The Message, it is clear that leaders in the church must blameless, well thought of, faithful to spouse, whose children believe and are “not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient” (TNIV). “It is important that a church leader, responsible for the affairs in God’s house, be looked up to – not pushy, not short-tempered, not a drunk, not a bully, not money-hungry.” This person must welcome people, be helpful, wise, fair, reverent, and have a good grip on himself! These are all characteristics that I seek to develop daily in my life, and have been developing since 1974. These are also the characteristics I would like to see in the man who my daughter will marry!

Guide me Lord today, as I serve you with joy and obedience. Guide me in growing in grace and fruitfulness, as I develop leaders who nurture and serve your church, your bride, your presence on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment