Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October 19, 2010

10-19-10 Tuesday, 5:37 am Springfield, 54 degrees, cloudy, high expected only in the 60’s.

Today I ride with two other pastors from Springfield to Columbia for the peer mentoring group, facilitated by Bishop Schnase. We will discuss Orbiting the Giant Hairball, and catch up with each other. I benefit from these sessions, even though the time away from Wesley and the regular routine of the week leaves work to be made up. Tonight Audrey and I will have dinner at Dwight and Sandy’s house. Bethany texted me at 1:15 am to say she was safely in Los Angeles and en route to her apartment. It was good to see her this weekend, albeit ever so briefly!

I Tim 4:1-16
Paul’s instructions to his protégé, about what and how he should teach. Paul tells Timothy not to let anyone think less of him because he is young. “Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.” This is great advice for every pastor. In verse 7-8 Paul observes that physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better. As I work out at the Meyer center, and run 2-3 times a week, I am keeping in minimal fitness. Once a decade I have run a marathon, with the months of training required. I desire to keep spiritual training in the forefront of my priorities, because as Paul states, “it is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.”

The great spiritual servant leaders have all exercised spiritual discipline. I need to renew my efforts, refine my plan for “training for godliness”, and secure a spiritual coach (historically called a spiritual director). I have not had such a director or coach for several years, and if I am to maximize my spiritual training, I must have a relationship with a trained person who can help me make forward progress from “here to there”. I have been trained to be a spiritual director, and in my coaching I practice some of this.

Reading Philip Towner’s commentary on this passage, he organizes a succinct summary of what Paul is saying to cultivate healthy leaders – 1. Nourishment from God’s word, 2. Training in godliness, 3. Mission (for this we labor and strive). This is a good formula upon which to meditate and to use as a skeleton for the design of a plan for every leader and aspiring leader.

I am yours today, most Holy God. Use me, equip me, teach me, that I might be your fruitful disciple who worships you, cares about your sheep, and serves following your example.

No comments:

Post a Comment