Friday, October 1, 2010

October 1, 2010

10-1-10 Friday, 7:00 am Springfield, 46 degrees, clear.

September is over, October has just begun! I enjoy the passing of the months and the changing of the seasons. Tonight I will take the airplane flying after the wedding rehearsal and get a bird’s eye view of the evening over Springfield. Today I have a graveside funeral service at 1:00 for a Wesley member who was active until she went to a nursing home several years ago.

Exciting news: Last night I finally got my new cell phone, a Droid X to sync contacts and calendar with my Palm data base. Over 1000 contacts and my calendar are now on my Droid. I have been carrying both phones, like a pair of 6 shooters one on each hip. Now I must check the details of my calendar, and perhaps add the “notes” for my contacts, but I am very pleased to have gotten the sync to work.

Philippians 2:19-3:4

In verses 19-24 Paul tells the recipients that he is preparing to send Timothy to them. He states that other people (he could send) “are seeking their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.” This continues the theme he followed earlier in the chapter about self-emptying, and warnings against self-centeredness. In verse 22 the Greek word dokimen is translated “proven worth” referring to Timothy. This is a word I desire to have continually applied to me – that Bruce Baxter has dokimen, proven worth in the work of the gospel, in the servant leadership of the church.

I am continuing to read Wigger’s biography of Asbury, who proved his worth to the cause of Christ. I am currently reading about the events of 1784, the Christmas conference, the role of Coke in ordaining Asbury, etc. The Methodist movement in America had about 9,000 participants in 1780, and about 60,000 by 1790. Asbury was always looking for men of proven worth, as are we today as the church continues to need unselfish, spirit-filled, compassionate, visionary servant leaders as pastors. As I lead this very large church called Wesley, I constantly am aware of creating a culture of call, which will result in many individuals hearing God’s call to pastoral vocation.

In verses 25-30 he tells the Philippians that he is presently going to send to them Epaphroditus, who was sick and almost died, and has been very helpful and supportive of Paul. From this paragraph I remember again how important individuals are in the work of ministry. Parkcrest Baptist church, almost next door to Wesley has this on their church sign “never underestimate the value of one soul.” Reading Paul’s letters, I am so aware of this truth.

Guide me today Lord as I serve you with joy, and seek to encourage, comfort, and present your gospel through my life on this first day of October in the Ozarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment