Monday, October 25, 2010

October 25, 2010

10-25-10 Monday, 5:41 am Springfield, 61 degrees, dark.

I have awakened with energy and much to be done before I leave at 8:45 for Columbia. Today is my first meeting with the Conference Board of Ordained Ministry, as a mid-quadrenium appointee. Tomorrow I will drive toward Wilmore, KY, where I will meet with the newly formed Alumni Board, chaired by Tom Harrison. I knew that October was tightly scheduled, and it feels like this last week will fall into place nicely and I will move into November with more open space on my calendar.

Yesterday we concluded the Healthy Church Initiative with a luncheon after the morning worship services. Bob Farr did a great job of reading and describing the report to the 140+ folks gathered. I was pleased with the level of participation all weekend, and the team did a great job guiding the Wesley congregation through this process. I will write my pastor’s pen article about the report and prescriptions, and post it on our web site. The five prescriptions, if adopted in November at the Church Conference, will guide us into a growing, fruitful future.

II Tim 4:1-22
This is the final record we have of Paul’s life. He was executed after this letter was written, and we do not know the details. A person’s last words always carry more weight, and Paul’s exhortation to Timothy in verse 2 is poignant: “Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.” I also receive these words as being God’s word to me this morning. I am looking forward to the next 3 weeks of messages, and will heed this admonition of the great apostle Paul.

During the rest of this chapter, Paul reveals his humanity, as he expresses loneliness, his need for his coat, and his papers, and his request that Timothy would come visit him before winter. Paul names the people who have abandoned him, and those who have supported him. He sums up his life in verses 6-7: “As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.” May these words be true also of the life of Bruce Baxter, whenever this race comes to the finish.

I am yours, Lord, and desire to run with endurance the race you have set before me. Thirty-six years now I have been your disciple, and the number of years remaining is a mystery. Use me today, this week, this season as I pastor and lead your people through this time of the journey. Thank you for Paul, and all others who have preceded me on this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment