Sunday, October 24, 2010

October 24, 2010

10-24-10 Sunday, 6:08 am Springfield, 60 degrees, dark.

Two weeks from today we will be off “daylight savings time”, and the dawn will move up an hour. The post 7:00 am sunrise makes getting ready feel even earlier than it is. Today I am not bringing the morning message, and I am released from the familiar sense of burden during this hour of readiness and preparation. Bob Farr will preach as part of our Healthy Church Initiative weekend. It has gone well so far, and will culminate with the reading of the report following morning worship.

II Tim 2:22-3:17
“Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.” (verse 22) This one verse contains three components of spiritual maturity -1. Avoid, reject, guard against anything that stirs up or caters to unholy desire; 2. Lean into, pursue, develop 4 areas – righteousness, faithfulness, love and peace; 3. Practical application – cultivate deep relationships with small group of growing, pure-hearted believers. This one verse would make a great morning message, as it speaks strongly to me, and will be my meditation for the day as I apply the three components to my life.

Writing about the difficult days to come, Paul warns Timothy about people who “will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!” (3:5) John Wesley warned about a future day when people called Methodists would have a form of godliness but lack the power thereof. I have seen this in my lifetime, and I am hopeful of the return in the Methodist tribe of many people who rely upon the power of the Holy Spirit and “call on the Lord with pure hearts”.

Guide me today, Lord, as one of your followers who seeks your kingdom, with righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. I conclude this early morning time of scripture and prayer with the intention of taking every breath today in You, and every step, every word filled with your power.

No comments:

Post a Comment