Friday, October 22, 2010

October 22, 2010

10-22-10 Friday, 6:47 am Springfield, 58 degrees, cloudy.

We are in the midst of our consultation weekend. The team arrived yesterday afternoon and conducted 4 interviews. I will meet with them for a couple of hours this morning, and Audrey and I will go to dinner with them tonight. Tomorrow is a full day with church council and five hour workshop. This is a healthy process and will be fruitful for my pastoral leadership and for the life and future of this church.

II Tim 1:1-18
Verse 1b “I have been sent out to tell others about the life he has promised through faith in Christ Jesus.” In this sentence Paul states his mission in life. It is clear, simple and compelling. Each of us should be able in one sentence to state God’s purpose in our lives. I have worked on this in the past, and the first line of my Vitae states my objective: “To advance the kingdom of God in this generation through incarnational servant leadership.” Guide me Lord as I live into and through this purpose.

Paul continues this introduction to what will be his last recorded letter before being executed with descriptions of his imprisonment and instructions to Timothy. “Hold on to the pattern of wholesome teaching you learned from me – a pattern shaped by the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus.” He observes that “everyone from the province of Asia has deserted me”, and that Onesiphorus has often visited and encouraged Paul.

I and II Timothy are two of my favorite books of the Bible. I am approaching the age in which Paul was probably executed – in his late fifties. Lead me Lord as I advance your kingdom in this generation through servant leadership, today, tomorrow, and each day until you receive me into your unchangeable eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment