Thursday, October 28, 2010

October 28, 2010

10-28-10 Thursday, 6:30 am Wilmore, 55 degrees, partly cloudy

Our Asbury Alumni Association had a good day of meetings yesterday, culminated by dinner at the president’s house last night. He is just back from South Africa, the Lausanne Conference on Evangelism.

Jeremiah 52:
King Zedekiah reigned in Jerusalem eleven years. He rebelled against the king of Babylon, who then surrounded the city and besieged it for 2 years. When all the food ran out, the king and the army left the city and were captured on the plains of Jericho. The scene that is described is unimaginable to me – Zedekiah was made to watch all his sons be executed, along with other officials, and then his eyes were gouged out. I cannot fathom what that would have been like. Truly this was extreme torture. The Babylonians then destroyed Jerusalem, demolishing the wall and the temple. The end of life as it was known for the people of Israel as they were hauled off into Babylonian captivity.

In this peaceful setting, a seminary and college community with a rich history of educating and training Spirit-filled servants of Christ, the violence and horror of war, torture, and killing is foreign. I know it is happening every day in some part of the world. The warfare of the spirit for the eternal souls of humans is being raged every day also, with eternal consequences. I must remain informed and vigilant to daily walk with God and put on the armor of the Spirit.

This meeting of the Alumni Association will conclude at noon, and then I will work on my sermon for the rest of the day. My heart yearns for the people of Wesley in Springfield to hear and practice the Word of God, this week about being in the Land between. Guide me Lord in all you ways, that I may please you today, and serve you faithfully all my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment