Monday, October 4, 2010

October 4, 2010

10-4-10 Monday, 6:52 am Springfield, 36 degrees, clear and cold. First frost (light) of the season!

Last night Audrey and I attended the Steven Curtis Chapman “Family Night” with Jerry, Bev, Steve and Rochelle. The Chapmans have a wonderful ministry, with their two sons on the verge of touring with their own band, and Mary Beth speaking about the death of their daughter Maria and the book she has written. It was good to be in the audience last night.

This morning I need to go to the office and get an email out to the participants in the Wesley leadership experience tomorrow night. I snored a lot last night, keeping Audrey up, and so as she catches up on Zzzs I will ride the motorcycle to the church, and then out on a little morning ride in the crisp fall air.

Jeremiah 2:31-4:18

The prophet, speaking for God, uses many metaphors of Israel being like a prostitute, or an adulterous wife, leaving the God of her youth in search of something else. He promises that Egypt will fail her, just as Assyria did.
4:3 “This is what the Lord says to the people of Judah and Jerusalem: ‘Plow up the hard ground of your hearts! Do not waste your good seed among thorns. O people of Judah and Jerusalem, surrender your pride and power. Change your hearts before the
Lord, or my anger will burn like an unquenchable fire because of your sins.’” As I read this, I pictured Wesley or Asbury using this as a text for a fiery sermon. I do not preach “fiery sermons”, but speak in more of a teaching mode.

Guide me Holy Lord as I seek to be obedient and faithful to your word and your leading in every way, all the time. Guard me from complacency, and from pleasing people, speaking words they always want to hear. Use me as your pastor, shepherd, and faithful, obedient servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment