Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21, 2010

10-21-10 Thursday, 6:58 am Springfield, 44 degrees, clear.

Yesterday at this time I was meeting a member of Wesley who has a heart for those who do not yet know Christ. We prayed at the altar in the sanctuary together. It is good for me to plan focused, intentional times of prayer. Later in the morning I met with three other pastors to pray for each other.

This afternoon at Wesley we begin the consultation weekend of the Healthy Church Initiative. A team of five leaders from around the conference will interview our staff and lay leaders, conduct a focus group, meet with the church council, conduct a Saturday workshop and lead in worship on Sunday. At noon they will present five prescriptions for the church to implement for greater fruitfulness. I am looking forward to this process, and to how it will assist the pastors and leaders of Wesley in moving forward. During the day today I will lead a peer mentoring group of pastors who have already been engaged in this process.

I Tim 6:1-21

“…true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.” (verses6-8) These verses have spoken strongly to me over the years, guide me as I internally shape and control desires. As Audrey and I listened to the Dave Ramsey lecture last night on investing in mutual funds, he is teaching how to manage assets with the end goal of being very generous. God has blessed the decisions Audrey and I have made over the years, and we are content. Guide me each day Lord as I serve you with joy, content with enough food and clothing, and seeking ways to be generous until we depart this life (with nothing, but the fruit of a life well-lived).

No comments:

Post a Comment