Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 31, 2010

10-31-10 Sunday, 5:45 am Springfield, 42 degrees, clear.

I am looking forward to all that this day has in store. From the four morning worship services, in which we will baptize and receive new members, to the new member luncheon, then the afternoon children’s party, and at the end of the day, the annual visitation of children and their parents “trick or treating”. My custom is to build a fire in my portable fireplace in the driveway, and greet visitors outside. Audrey has missed the last couple of Halloweens, and it will be good to have her here this year.

Hebrews 2:1-18
“So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it.” (verse 1) This morning I will be teaching from the Israelite experience of 40 years in the wilderness through the lens of I Cor 10 where we are also reminded that “these things (wilderness experiences) occurred as examples for us, so that we might not desire evil as they did.” (10:6) My hope is to relate our real, everyday experiences to those of the people of Israel during their wilderness wanderings so that we might put God at the center of all we do, not commit sexual immorality, not tempt Christ (doubting his existence to make Him prove he is really present) nor complain. Guide me Lord as I speak your truth and apply your word to this generation.

Psalm 103 (Today’s Psalm in the One Year Bible) I love this Psalm, and reading it again here in this early hour of devotion it occurred to me that this might be the perfect Psalm to sum up the message today. “Let all that I am praise the Lord, with my whole heart, I will praise his holy Name. … May I never forget the good things he does for me – He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases, He redeems my from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things. My youth is renewed like the eagle’s! He revealed his character to Moses and his deeds to the people of Israel.

Lord, with all that I am I praise you this morning! I desire to serve you fully today as your pastor in this generation. Fill me today with everything I need to minister among your people. In the precious Name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment