Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 30, 2010

10-30-10 Saturday, 6:06 am Springfield, 40 degrees, clear.

It is good to be home – to make my own coffee, sit by the fire here in the family room. I had a very good trip this week, serving on the Missouri Conference Ordained Ministry Team, and the Asbury Seminary Alumni Association Council. Yesterday I stopped by the piece of property my dad purchased in 1972 near Aurora, KY. I chatted with Jimmy Sholar and then walked the woods for an hour. The pine trees we planted in those early years are now mature trees, and continue to grow. The log cabin David and I started in 1999 sits without a roof in a great secluded spot. It was good to pray, reflect, and hike.

I am looking forward to being back in the office today, meeting with folks about their baptisms, processing the accumulated mail, and preparing for this evening’s Eagle Scout presentation. Tomorrow is a big Sunday, with new members joining, being baptized, and reading the names of all who have died in the past 12 months. It will also be the first Sunday after the HCI consultation.

Hebrews 1:1-14
This opening chapter establishes the unique place that Jesus fills, above and different from the role of angels. As I prepare for my December series on Angels, I will study this chapter in more depth. This book is written to the growing Jewish Church, just months before the destruction of the temple and the end of offering sacrifices according to the “first covenant”. As I serve Christ under the “New Covenant”, I embrace and apply the teachings of this book of the Bible through Wesley United Methodist Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment