Friday, October 15, 2010

October 15, 2010

10-15-10 Friday, 7:30 am Springfield, 44 degrees, clear.

I just saw two bluebirds on the fence in my backyard. For two summers I have had a bluebird house nailed to my deck post, and each summer a brood has been raised. Seeing the pair this morning causes me to wonder if they are scoping out the house for next year, or visiting their home for one last time before they migrate south. I do not know the winter practices of bluebirds. Next year I hope to set out a second birdhouse for their multiplication.

II Thes 3:1-18

“Finally dear brothers and sisters, … we ask you to pray for us.” Paul is finishing up his letter, and requesting pray that “the Lord’s message will spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes…” I desire this to be my prayer also, in this generation. As I teach and preach about the grace and mercy of God, His message of unconditional love through Jesus Christ, I covet the prayers of many that the Kingdom of God will expand, and lives will be transformed into his His image, thus bringing transformation to this world.

He finishes this epistle with the instruction to work hard, and stay away from misguided believers who sit around idle, just waiting for the return of Christ, or the end of life, or whatever. He reminds them that he worked hard night and day when he was with them, and if a person doesn’t work, he or she shouldn’t eat. Hard work is always a great example. John Wesley, Francis Asbury, E. Stanley Jones, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Mother Teresa, – all of these worked hard, right up to their last breath. May my life be an example of hard work, laboring for the Master from the dawn to setting sun. I desire for my life to be a good example for others to follow –balanced, centered, intentional and Spirit-led.

Thank you Lord for your servant Paul. Thank you for the recording and preserving of his letters, thoughts, actions, warnings and encouragements. May Your church in 2010in Springfield and around the globe be about the work of making new disciples, cultivating fruitful lives, and enlightening the world through your holy Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment